Friday, April 27, 2012

Up and Down

You know, I was never one for roller coasters.  I mean, I've been on my share of emotional roller coaster relationships , but that's a blog for another time in another circumstance.  I'm talking about physical roller coasters at amusement parks.  I've never really liked them as I have a fear of heights and I don't really like not knowing what's going to be around the next bend.  Funny enough, I think it's for these same reasons that my wife actually REALLY ENJOYS roller coasters and will stop at nothing to ride one if she's within visual range.  She is a rock and is afraid of nothing.  I guess that makes me the spineless wimp that's afraid of everything and we come together because opposites attract.

I digress, anyway.  This photopheresis thing seems to be working, but the results are kind of like rinding a roller coaster.  I've been to treatment five times.  One time, I felt so good that I actually went to the treatment completely alone.  Drive myself down to Philly and back without any problems.  Another, earlier time I fell asleep before we even exited the parking garage I was so exhausted.  I ended up sleeping for the rest of that day and into the next morning.  Completely out of character for me to sleep late.

So, now my body is a bit more accustomed to the procedure, yet the results are still somewhat like riding a roller coaster.  Overall, I would definitely have to say that I feel better.  I feel much better and what's more is that I feel optimistic.  I think, as slow as it's going, I'm getting to a better place and that's all I want.  How crazy is it that I'm living my life right now just to get back to work?  Who knew being a semi-productive member of society could mean so much to someone.

Unfortunately, with the way the treatment has been going, the after effects have been somewhat unpredictable (like a roller coaster).  Last week, after BOTH treatments, I felt fantastic!  Great enough to see some people that weekend and have lunch with Mike.  I even called my boss to let him know of my progress (a phone call I've been avoiding as to not have to convey such massive failure).  This was looking up.  I was starting to see people.  My life was slowly starting to take shape again.

Then this week's procedure hit me.  The first one was fine.  I came home and was a bit tired, but certainly not OVERLY fatigued.  After Wednesday's procedure, however, I was completely annihilated.  I've been reeling for two days now with aches, pains, and overwhelming fatigue.  My hands have been tingling all day like they are not getting enough blood and that makes me nervous. 

I'm hoping that by tomorrow, everything is at least where it was.  I have a big weekend coming up and I'm nto going to let some GVHD ruin it.  Right?

Ugh..  When will this all end??  When can I get back to being me?

No comments:

Post a Comment